This week’s Arts & Entertainment at home column is sponsored by Kate McDonough.
Heading into another week of social distancing to help prevent the spread of Covid-19, because staying home is the only way we are going to flatten the curve. That doesn’t mean your enjoyment of arts and entertainment is over.
Here’s your guide to the latest happening online to enjoy from the comfort and safety of your home:
Live Stream Music & Theater
- On Friday, June 19 at 7:30 pm, Jazz House Kids will present Playing Through The Changes: A One Night Only Virtual Benefit. Award-winning journalist Lester Holt, as well as an avid musician and bass player himself, will serve as host. The concert will feature more than 20 internationally celebrated artists, showcase young talent currently in training and the debut of the JAZZ HOUSE Alumni Super Band.
- Alicia Keys and John Legend will face off in a piano battle as part of a special Juneteenth celebration on Instagram Live on Friday, June 19 at 8 pm.
- On Saturday, June 20 at 4 pm, Ms. Lauryn Hill 2 Chainz, Brandi Carlile, T-Pain, and more are joining virtual music event Small Business Live to help minority-owned small businesses. The musicians will perform on locations at various small businesses close to their hearts, with proceeds benefiting Accion Opportunity Fund.
- Make Music Day Montclair goes virtual with an all day livestream of local musicians on Sunday, June 21 from 11 am – 11 pm.
Film & TV
- Each week, The Montclair Film Discover Together program, shares a weekly schedule and encourages everyone to watch along at home on your own time, on the device of your choice (each film is available on one of the popular streaming services), and share your thoughts online by tagging them @MontclairFilm
Art & Literature
- Join Montclair Art Museum’s new online artist series MAM Conversations on Thursday, June 18 at 6 pm. Visit Montclair artist Philemona Williamson as we virtually visit Williamson in her studio and discover her inspiration, motivation, and see new what she’s working on next.
- Also on Thursday, June 18 at 12 pm, Newark Museum presents Lunch & Learn: The Science Behind Art, with the Indianapolis Museum of Art. Explore the rich interface between the Arts and the Sciences as we discuss the role of chemistry in art!
- Watchung Booksellers will present author Anthony DePalma in conversation with his wife, Miriam Rodriguez DePalma to discuss his new book “The Cubans.” Thursday, June 18 at 7 pm.
Social Distance Events
- Join the YMCA of Montclair on Friday, June 19, from 9:30-10:30 am for a community-wide discussion on Juneteenth to honor this moment in Black history, spend time together in collective healing and begin to set a vision together for the future.
- Open up a beer and join other locals for Friday Chill Virtual Happy Hour at Montclair Brewery.
Know of any other entertainment to enjoy at home? Please share in comments!